This inn is owned by the Feoffees (Trustees) of the Town & Manor of Hungerford, and it has been Town and Manor property since 1617.
By 1764 it was Hungerford’s first workhouse, but when a larger workhouse was required in 1782, the paupers were moved to the “High House”, now Charnham Close, 26 Charnham Street.
Shortly afterwards it became an inn and has remained so ever since. At various times it has been called “The Lancaster Arms” and “The Duke of Lancaster’s Arms” although most locals now refer to it simply as “The Johnny”.
The river just to the north of the inn marked the boundary with Wiltshire until 1895.