The Croft Hall opened in 1900.
The site was originally part of the land used for the Free Grammar School, founded in 1635, which closed in 1884. In 1898 the school building was sold to Sir William Pearce of Chilton Lodge and soon demolished.
Sir William Pearce then paid for the erection of what was then known as Church House, which he presented to the people of Hungerford for Parish Meetings and other community use.
The Church House Club was formed in 1901. The main hall was used as a Billiard Room. The club, whose name changed to the Hungerford Club, continued to use Church House until they acquired separate premises on the south side of the Croft in 1929.
Croft Hall has proved to be a very versatile venue and has been used for a wide range of activities, including drama, concerts, Registrar’s office, Coroner’s Court, Sunday School, Royal Army Service Corps Headquarters (during the First World War), British Restaurant (during the Second World War), Polling Station and film club.
Croft Hall is now a registered charity and managed by a group of trustees.